Millions of individuals are shocked to find that their doctor advises them that they have high blood pressure (hypertension). Often there are no symptoms, no reason to suspect that the pressure of blood in the arteries is high, putting pressure on the arteries and veins. These blood vessels become more rigid with age giving rise to blood vessels being more inclined to burst.
About 90% of people who have high blood pressure have no obvious underlying cause. This is medically called essential hypertension, but there are certainly increased risk factors and these will be discussed later in the article.
This condition is extremely common affecting 10 to 20 per cent of the UK adult population. Hypertension is more common in men that in women and occurs more frequently in middle and old age, although a surprising number of young adults are being found to be hypertensive.
In 10% of cases there is a definite cause of high blood pressure. This is called specific hypertension. These causes include certain disorders of the adrenal glands. One of the hormones that the adrenal glands produce is called aldosterone. Aldosterone controls the amount of sodium and potassium that there is in the blood and tissues. This alters fluid levels in the cells and the fluid around the cells and can cause the blood to become too thick, thus increasing blood pressure. Also,in some cases of kidney disese, hypertension may occur due to changes in the production of angiotensin, a protein that is involved in narrowing small blood vessels in tissues. This causes an increase in blood pressure. There are certain congenital heart defects that give rise to specific hypertension and certain drugs can cause high blood pressure. Taking the combined contraceptive pill appears to increase the risk of hypertension.
How do I evaluate how serious my problem is?
The doctor or nurse will measure your blood pressure using a sphygmomanometer (try to pronounce it!) to measure the force on the blood vessels as the heart pumps and the pressure of the vessels when the heart is at rest in between beats. This gives two figures that you are no doubt familiar with. Below is a rough idea of how the doctor will assess the results. Remember that everyone’s blood pressure rises temporarly and falls because this is a natural occurence in the body. It becomes a problem when it is constantly high, or becomes high very suddenly. So oftentimes you will be asked to return and perhaps be seen by a nurse, to ensure that you are not suffering from ‘white coat syndrome” (stress of having blood pressure taken by a doctor can naturally cause a rise in blood pressure in some people, which could be wrongly interpreted).
- Borderline hypertension: 120-16-/90-94 mmHg
- Mild hypertension: 140 -160/95-104 mmHg
- Moderate hypertension: 140-180/105-114 mmHg
- Severe hypertension: 160+/115+ mmHg
What can I do to help high blood pressure?
The good news is that about 80% of individuals fall into the borderline to moderate hypertension range and most cases can be brought under control very successfully by change in lifestyle, diet and taking natural remedies and herbal remedies that are known to help hypertension. These methods can often be superior to drugs in cases of borderline and moderate hypertension.
It is true to say that all drugs have side effects. Diuretic drugs and beta-blockers have side effects listed including incresed risk of heart disease and most medical professionals will try and avoid giving these if they can unless the problem is persistent and doesn’t respond to lifestyle changes.
If you suffer from severe hypertension (160+/115+), drugs are indicated. However employing all the measures by eating a diet rich in nutrients can help tremendously in cases of moderate high blood pressure. It appears that when drug therapy is necessary ACE inhibitors or calcium channel blockers seem to be the safest options.
General Lifestyle, Diet and Natural Remedy Guidelines for Helping Hypertension
Many individuals are enlightened regarding healthy eating. But there are some specific areas that someone with high blood pressure should particularly consider.
- Lose weight if necessary
- Avoid high alcohol consumption, caffeine and smoking. Exercise and reduce stress.
- Eat plenty of fibre obtained from unrefined grains, nuts and fruit and vegetables and pulses. We should eat at least 30g of fibre per day. If your intake of these foods are low, consider taking either LOCLO orTNT(Total&Nutrition&Today) or other natural fibre supplements that you can buy from this site.
- Eat plenty of celery, garlic and onions. Garlic and onions have been researched and have shown to reduce the systolic blood pressure in hypertensive people by 3.1%. If you don’t like eating a lot of garlic, try taking Garlic- High Potency. Take the equivalent of 4g fresh garlic per day.
- Studies show that omega-3 oils can help to reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure by up to 9 points(mmHg). Considerably reduce intake of animal fats (fatty meat, dairy products) adn increase your consumption of 1 tablespoon of cold pressed vegetable oils daily. This can be done by daily making salad dressings, mixing in potatoes and soups. Eating nuts and sprinkling freshly ground seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower, linseeds or sesame seeds into soups or on cereals is helpful . Increase your intake of oily fish to at least 3 times per week. If you find this difficult to do, try taking either a high quality fish oil (not cod liver oil) or a flaxseed oil product. Try either, or a combination ofOmega 3 EPA and/or Flax Seed Oil . Since you need to be taking in about 1 tblsp oil, then large numbers of capsules are necessary. Try taking 4 of each daily. If they repeat on you, keep them in the refrigerator and take the cold capsules as soon as you can. They then melt further down in your stomach.
- Reducing salt intake can be helpful in some cases (sodium chloride). Steaming vegetables makes them tastier and reduces the need for salt. Avoid processed foods as they often contain high levels of salt. Eat plain nuts as opposed to salted and avoid potato crisps (chips). The body does need salt, so the best way to obtain this is by using Celtic Salt or Himalayan Salt
- There is a substance which is sythesized (produced) by the body called Coenzyme Q10, sometimes known as ubiquinone. Interestingly 39% of people suffering from hypertension are short of this coenzyme. Although no one knows what effect this has, if a person is deficient, it seems to negatively effect metabolism. Its not easy to get from one’s diet since the body manufactures it from other raw materials, but it is available from black grapes. Correcting this deficiency can reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure by as much as 10%. How do you know if you are one of the 39% who are deficient in CoQ10? Some signs are gum disease, high cholesterol levels, and arteriosclerosis or diagnosed heart disease. You need to take about 60mg twice daily.
- Stress plays a large part in elevating blood pressure. If your doctor thinks this is your problem, click on the section in this site in the search library onto ‘Stress, anxiety” , Nutricalm contains important B vitamins as well as soothing chamomile.
- Vitamin E is the vitamin that we would say is one of the most important for the heart, as an antioxidant and to prevent blood inappropriately clotting. Its properties for healing tissue , which would include blood vessels is well documented. We suggest that a dose of 400 – 800 iu’s per day is a therapeutic dose for hypertension. We prefer to use mixed tocopherols rather than a single kind of vitamin E
- Lead toxicity is often linked to hypertension (see related article) andvitamin C. The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine Vol. 24, August 1939, No. 11, pp. 1119-1127 increased cardiovascular disease. Vitamin C is really important to promote excretion of lead from the body. People who live in soft water areas may have higher amounts of lead and lower amounts of calcium and magnesium (protective against high blood pressure) due to the high acidity of the water. If you suspect your water may be high in lead, take 500mg-1000mg 4 times daily of
- Magnesium can help lower blood pressure because it is involved in
activating the pump that allows potassium into the cell and sodium out of the cells. This in turn affects the body’s response to the amount of fluid present in the blood. Again, think of taking extra magnesium if you live in a soft water area. Consider taking 500mg to 1000mg daily (divide dose) for 3-6 months. If you have kidney disease or severe heart disease (high grade atrioventricular block), do not take magnesium. Magnesium is also helpful in combatting stress and anxiety
- Vitamin B6 taken in a B complex or in the combination supplementMega Chel . This contains an array of nutrients that support the entire circulatory system – arteries, veins, tissues and organs that service this amazing body system. We use Mega Chel in our clinic.
Diets low in potassium and high in sodium (salt) is linked to hypertension so this is where a diet high in potssium from fruit and vegetables comes in. Increasing dietary potassium can really help high blood pressure. If your diet is low in fruit and vegetables, supplementation may help, particularly if you are over 65. If you are suffering from kidney disease or taking digitalis, potassium sparing diuretics or ACE inhibitors, potassium supplements must not be taken without consulting your doctor. A high quality salt such as Himalayan salt or Celtic salt, which are rich in many minerals, are worth considering as these salts have a similar combination of minerals as extracellular fluid. We do need about half a teaspoon of salt daily.
- More obscure suggestions for causes or contributing factors for essential hypertension is the effect that geopathic stress can have on some people. Moving bedrooms or repositioning the bed, sitting in a different chair from where you usually sit may help in alleviating stresses.See related article.
- Herbal formulas have been used for centuries to help support the systems of the body. They provide nutrients and phytochemicals that can have extraordinary but safe actions on body systems. They work not by blocking chemical reactions as drugs to, but by balancing body metabolism. Hawthorne is known to have a mild effect on blood pressure and is also well known as a heart tonic. We have mentioned garlic which is a food/herb. Many herbs and fruits contain proanthocyanadins that have antioxidant properties and reduce inflammation in the arteries and veins and help to strengthen them. This is very important in helping to reduce the risk of strokes and coronary attacks. Examples of these are pine bark, bilberry and strawberry. See in the summary below some suggestions for you to try.
So as you can see there is plenty you can do to help your hypertension with natural remedies, diet and herbal remedies. Obviously the more serious your problem, the more intense your treatment programme needs to be. Please do keep it up for at least 3 months minimum. Remember that symptoms and signs take a very long time to manifest themselves, therefore the body needs plenty of time to recover. If your regime is working, continue on with the programme for at least 6 months. You can then consider reducing to a mantainence programme to help to keep things stable.
Always pay attention to what you eat. These are your raw materials that the body uses to function. If anything is missing from your diet, your body will eventually tell you with symptoms of ill heatlh. Hypertension is not a death sentence if you take care of yourself. Your body is the most precious thing you have. Look after it.
There are many natural remedies that can help strengthen your arteries and veins. Taken as a long term programme, they have shown to be very effective for a lot of people. You can purchase these high quality supplements from this website by clicking on the links below.
ARTICLE EXTRACTED FROM :
The body’s own immune system, if sufficiently strengthened and boosted by natural means, can resist or surmount an attack by any natural biological organism. Other deadly organisms exist today which are not natural in origin, but rather have been bioengineered in genetic engineering laboratories located mostly in the United States. These pathogens were intentionally designed to circumvent and cripple the body’s immune system and ensure the lethality of the disease. Two well known bioengineered diseases are AIDS and Ebola. There are some new ‘mystery’ diseases which have recently made their appearance and yet other virulent bioengineered diseases which are waiting in the wings for the ‘right time’ (see Population Control under New World Order ). Bioengineered organisms require special consideration and technologies to defeat them, but they are defeatable.
The main focus of our organization is the promotion of non-pharmaceutical medicine. We all possess the innate ability to protect ourselves from disease. This wondrous disease prevention system is the immune system, which has been , much like the value of proper nutrition, largely forgotten and ignored. Proper nutrition is one of the easiest ways to boost the immune system.
The overuse of pharmaceutical drugs, and the lack of information concerning immunity boosting has left the average American’s immune system efficiency level at 40% or 50%, at best. Some countries, like Japan, have a traditional diet that creates a stronger immune system and consequently Japanese people (who embrace the traditional diet) usually live a longer lifespan. It’s no coincidence that Japanese women are among the longest living people on the planet.
- There is so much to be said about supplements that we will not even attempt to cover everything, as there are already a number of organizations who have constructed websites with a wealth of information on this topic (many of these can be found on our links page). However, we will provide you with information on a few of the more extraordinary supplements that we have found to be especially effective for general immunity boosting, as well as treatment of specific ailments:
- Flax Seed Oil
Over-consumption of “bad” highly saturated fats, low in essential fatty acids (EFA’s) results in fat deposition causing obesity and fatty degeneration. When “good” unsaturated fats rich in EFA’s are added to the diet, food utilization and energy production are enhanced and less fat is deposited. The richest source of Omega 3 fatty acids is flax seed oil with 55-65% Omega 3 and 15-25% Omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 6 fatty acids are essential but are less likely to be deficient in the American diet.
EFA’s and their derivatives serve a number of vital functions including transport and metabolism of both cholesterol and triglycerides, normal brain development and function, required in the structure of cell membranes, increase metabolic rate, oxygen uptake and energy production, slow down growth of cancer cells, candida and other anaerobic organisms, production of prostaglandins and replenish skin oils to combat dryness and wrinkling.
Conditions associated with fatty degeneration include cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, rheumatism, acne and other skin conditions, multiple sclerosis, cystic fibro-sis, glandular atrophy, asthma, kidney, liver and gall bladder problems. In addition to general immunity boosting, flax seed oil has proven to be effective in the following conditions: Cardiovascular disease, Cancer, tumors, Obesity, Diabetes, Hypoglycemia, Skin conditions, Glandular atrophy, Liver and gall bladder, Kidney problems, etc.
Our reccomended dosage is one or two teaspoons daily. Although taking flax seed oil by swigging it down or by the spoonful is not very palatable, so you may wish to add it to foods.
Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C)
Sodium Ascorbate powder is a non-acidic form of Vitamin C. Vitamin C has intrinsic antiviral and antibacterial activity though its main effect is improvement in host resistance. Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C Powder) may be beneficial in: General immunity boosting, helping to ward off or prevent colds & flus, assisting the healing of wounds, aiding the body in fighting infection, etc.
Unlike most animals that produce their own Vitamin C, the human body does not synthesize any. Whether for general immunity boosting or for the treatment of a specific condition, one requires more Vitamin C than our contemporary diet supplies. The amount of vitamin C you take daily determines its effectiveness. 60 mg per day is the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance for adults). This is easily obtained from fresh fruits and vegetables. 500 mg to 5 gm (grams) per day has proven to be beneficial in the prevention of colds, and general immunity boosting. However, Vitamin C dosage of over 1 gm can realistically only be obtained through supplements.
Sodium Ascorbate provides, on average, between 4 and 5 gm of Vitamin C per teaspoon. Our reccomendation for general immunity boosting is one teaspoon (approximately 4.5 gm) daily. If you are experiencing cold symptoms, we suggest a dosage of 4 to 5 gm (usually one teaspoon) per hour. If this treatment is started in the early stages of a cold, it will often fail to develop. If the cold has already developed, this treatment will usually lessen the effect of the cold, and speed recovery. Dissolving the powder in water (or juice, if you find the taste especially unpleasant) is the preferred method of consumption.
Sodium Ascorbate appears to be the most well-known Vitamin C supplement, although there are a number of others available. They are as follows:
- Calcium Ascorbate
- This seems to be nearly as well-known as Sodium Ascorbate. If you cannot find Sodium Ascorbate, this will perform virtually the same effect. The proponents of calcium ascorbate claim that calcium in this form of vitamin C is well utilized.
- Magnesium Ascorbate
- Magnesium is essential for calcium utilization.
- Potassium Ascorbate
- The addition of potassium may lower blood pressure.
- Zinc Ascorbate
- The zinc may give an added boost to the immune system.
- Manganese Ascorbate
- Chromium Ascorbate
- Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum)
Perhaps the single most wonderful and most beneficial herb in the entire herbal kingdom is Capsicum, or Cayenne Red Pepper. Many herbalists have said that if they could have only one herb to work with, they would choose Capsicum.
Cayenne is a pepper well known for its benefits to the circulatory system. It aids the body to balance pressure levels and resist abnormal bleeding. Cayenne is also used as an overall digestive aid: It stimulates the production of gastric juices, improves metabolism, and even helps relieve gas. It appears to have a beneficial effect on blood fats as well. This plant assists in the body’s utilization of other herbs, when used in an herbal combination. When applied topically, it helps relieve minor discomfort.
According to a 1987 study published in the Journal of Bioscience, rats fed a diet high in cayenne experienced a significant reduction in blood triglycerides and low density lipoproteins (LDL), or “bad” cholesterol. Capsaicin, a compound found in cayenne that gives the spice its “kick,” is an antiinflammatory. Recently, cayenne has been used successfully to treat patients with cluster headaches, a particularly painful type of headache. Used externally, cayenne liniment can soothe the stiffness and pain of rheumatism and arthritis.
Cayenne will work nicely as a general immune booster, or as an addition to treatment of almost any ailment. Our reccomended dosage is as follows 1/4 to 1 teaspoon 3 times a day, taken with plenty of water or juice at mealtime, unless instructed otherwise. If using Cayenne capsules, take 2-3 three times a day with with a large glass of water, unless instructed otherwise.
Peace & Relaxation
- One of the best ways to lower your immune system and make yourself sick is stress. Similarly, negative emotions like worry and anger will also lower your immune system. So as you might expect, one good way to boost your immune system, as well as to improve the general quality of your life, is to eliminate these negative emotions.
The following are methods of doing this which we have found to be effective:
Meditation has become increasingly popular in the western world. It provides a simple way to relax yourself, relieve stress, boost your immune system, and create more well-being and happiness in your life. The method of meditation you choose is not so important as achieving the desired result–a quiet mind, which promotes inner peace and relaxation. There are many different types of meditation, and our suggestion to you is to choose whatever you enjoy and feels right. If you’re not very familiar with meditation, here are a few techniques we reccomend:
“There’s nothing to it!” is something I often here when someone is describing general meditation, and franky, it’s absolutely true. General meditation is as simple as quieting your mind. Find a quiet place and time when you won’t be disturbed, close your eyes, and clear your mind of any thoughts. Sit like this, attempting to eliminate all thoughts and experience total peace, for whatever period of time feels comfortable. Often beginners find it difficult to meditate for more than five or ten minutes. If you find yourself in such a situation, don’t despair. You will find yourself able to sit for longer and longer intervals as time progresses. If you have never meditated before, consider starting your meditations in intervals of five minutes. When you feel comfortable, increase your intervals to ten minutes. When you feel comfortable with that, try to move to fifteen minutes, and continue like this until you feel a length of time that suits you.
Focused breathing is another very popular, yet tremendously simple, meditation. As in general meditation, find a quiet time and place where you won’t be disturbed, close your eyes, and clear you mind of any thoughts. From there, focus on your breathing. Focus on the in-breath, and the out-breath. This is also commonly known as conscious breathing, because as opposed to our normal breathing which we do not focus on or attempt to control, “focused breathing” is consciously monitored and controlled. You simply “watch” yourself breath, so to speak, and attempt to bring your breaths to a slow, rhythmic pace (whatever pace feels comfortable to you). By focusing on your breath, you draw your attention to that, and eliminate random thoughts, which creates a feeling of inner peace. To help focus on their breath, people will often draw their attention to the air entering their nostrils, and the air leaving their mouth. You may also wish to draw your attention to the rising and falling of your chest. Use whatever method you feel comfortable with. As for controlling the pace of your breath, some people count a certain number of seconds between each breath and attempt to maintain this slow, rhythmic, controlled pace. Others prefer not to count. Other use different techniques still. We suggest you use whatever feels comfortable to you.
Excerpt taken from:
People usually have a lot of things to say about the products they market. It’s unfortunate that sometimes the testimonials are either overhyped or completely untrue. Maybe some people consider it a marketing strategy to give a larger-than-life testimonial. But for me, I really have so much testimonies and experiences that I have no need to cook up stories.
I have been so impressed by the effectiveness of Swissgarde South Africa’s NAFDAC approved products that I am always at ease recommending the products, because I’m certain I won’t be embarrassed. I have had personal testimonies as well as the testimonials of my customers, friends and family.
I began selling the products without actually using them for the first one month of being a distributor. Then my upline encouraged me to take them so I could share my own testimonials with my customers. I obeyed and I started taking the Omega Plus and Royal Jelly capsules. The first thing that tension I used to feel in the head, frequent weakness were gone. I became a healthier person.
My second testimony was that of my sister. She had been relieved of her duty and asked to go home on a day that she was troubled by itching. She’d obviously taken something that caused an allergic reaction. All the doctors prescriptions had failed and she was so restless because she couldn’t sleep. I remembered that Defender capsules are antioxidants and can get rid of toxins with similar allergic reactions, so I decided to give her 2 capsules. She took and in less that thirty minutes, she slept off(Defender has a drowsy effect on those who take it for the first time) and woke up without the itching.
Testimony no.3 is about a colleague and another friend who had suffered persistent colds for over a week and couldn’t find any relief from pharmaceutical prescriptions. I recommended Swissgarde’s Defender to them and they were both free of catarrh and colds in less that an 45 minutes. I was really excited to prove that Swissgarde delivers on it’s promise.
Testimony n0.4. I had a married colleague who complained to me about an embarrassing case of weak erections. He really felt troubled and asked if I had any remedies for it. I recommended the AloePower(my standard practice is to combine it with 40 plus for men), since I saw he was overweight and that his problem may have been caused by cholesterol blockage. And he turned out to be very pleased with the product and even referred another colleague to me.
Testimony no.5 is about a customer who later became a distributor as a result of her husbands experience with Swissgarde products. Her husband was diabetic and hypertensive, his legs were getting swollen and he kept having persistent headaches. I recommended the AloePower, Diavite, Omega plus (and later Defender as an addition in the second month). A week later she and her kids expressed excitement at their husband and father’s improvement; his blood pressure was normal, the headaches stopped, his blood sugar was fair and his swelling legs were reducing. The lady signed up as a distributor a month later so she could be buying the products regularly at a reduced price.
Testimony no.6 is about my customers who buy products for Staph infection. I’ve had repeat purchases because the effectiveness of the products. I had a customer who stopped experiencing the wormlike movements in less than a week of taking the supplements. The others experienced and energy boost and reduction in joint pains in the first week. After a month, tests revealed that the Staph growth had reduced drastically and over 3 months, they had no need to take the products anymore.
Testimony no. 7 is about a customer who had contacted me regarding his frequent muscles spasms and numbness on one part of his body.I recommended just two products that are known for blood circulation, dealing with numbness and nerve tension. He also was so impressed that he finally became a distributor.
Testimony no’s 8. I think the most impressive testimony for me is that of a former colleague who’s dad was diabetic and had accidentally stepped on a nail. The wound wouldn’t heal for months. I recommended Defender because of it’s healing properties. I called her about 9 days later and she said she noticed that the wound was drying up and healing was evident.
I can go on and on about Swissgarde products but I am pressed for time. What a joy it is to represent a product that delivers on it’s promises. You are guaranteed success from the start. If you want to get into the herbal and nutritional market in Nigerian and Africa at large, do get involved in one that is credible. I choose Swissgarde and it’s my wish that you will too.
For information on becoming a distributor, contact me on 08023467737, 08060778264.
Do you have a problem with low sperm count or infertility?I recommend Swissgarde South Africa’s Food and Herbal extracts(NAFDAC approved):
1. Double Power – Contains minerals for increasing sperm count and fertility in
men and women.
- 60 coated tablets for 30 days -
2. 40 plus for women – Helps to balance hormones in women which aids
- 30 tablets for 30 days-
3. Defender – An antioxidant and a natural antibiotic for general
infections.Contains trace elements like zinc and selenium ,etc., often closely associated with fertility issues.
- 60 capsules for 30 days -
4. AloePower – Liquid supplement that detoxifies the body and increases
energy. Contains Aloevera, Aloe Bitters, Sunderlandia, etc.
- 1 litre for one month -
Call 08023467737 , 08060778264 to place your orders or order www.freewebs.com/natureandhealth/yourorder.htm ! A TRIAL WILL CONVINCE YOU!!!
1. Change Your Diet
The first step to shrinking your prostate is to adjust your diet. Try to keep your consumption of red meat to the minimum. Fish, particularly those high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fresh tuna and herring, will help keep you healthy.
2. Consider Daily Supplements
There are a variety of nutritional supplements that will protect you from having an enlarged prostate gland. The trace mineral zinc can help relieve
3. Medical Treatment Options
Your doctor may recommend a course of medication to shrink your prostate. Medications like dutaseride or finasteride work by reducing the hormones that result in an enlarged prostate. These drugs will halt the swelling and reduce the size back to normal, providing the problem is caught early on. Alpha-blockers are also sometimes prescribed. These relax the muscles surrounding the prostate and bladder, lessening symptoms like frequent urination. Surgery is an option when medication is ineffective or does not shrink the prostate back to normal size. Surgical treatment usually involves removing part of the prostate tissue. Surgery is usually performed through the urethra and is done on an outpatient basis.
Extracted from :
Dietary fiber offers many health benefits. Here’s how to include more in your diet.
Eat more fiber. You’ve probably heard it before. But do you know why fiber is so good for your health?
Dietary fiber — found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes — is probably best known for its ability to prevent or relieve constipation. But fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease.
Selecting tasty foods that provide fiber isn’t difficult. Find out how much dietary fiber you need, the foods that contain it and how to add them to meals and snacks.
What is dietary fiber?
Dietary fiber, also known as roughage or bulk, includes all parts of plant foods that your body can’t digest or absorb. Unlike other food components such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fiber isn’t digested by your body. Therefore, it passes relatively intact through your stomach, small intestine, colon and out of your body. It might seem like fiber doesn’t do much, but it has several important roles in maintaining health.
Fiber is commonly classified into two categories: those that don’t dissolve in water (insoluble fiber) and those that do (soluble fiber).
- Insoluble fiber. This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.
- Soluble fiber. This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium.
The amount of each type of fiber varies in different plant foods. To receive the greatest health benefit, eat a wide variety of high-fiber foods.
Benefits of a high-fiber diet
A high-fiber diet has many benefits, which include:
- Normalizes bowel movements. Dietary fiber increases the weight and size of your stool and softens it. A bulky stool is easier to pass, decreasing your chance of constipation. If you have loose, watery stools, fiber may also help to solidify the stool because it absorbs water and adds bulk to stool. For some, fiber may provide relief from irritable bowel syndrome.
- Helps maintain bowel integrity and health. A high-fiber diet may lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids, and small pouches in your colon (diverticular disease). Some fiber is fermented in the colon. Researchers are looking at how this may play a role in preventing diseases of the colon.
- Lowers blood cholesterol levels. Soluble fiber found in beans, oats, flaxseed and oat bran may help lower total blood cholesterol levels by lowering low-density lipoprotein, or “bad,” cholesterol levels. Epidemiologic studies have shown that increased fiber in the diet can reduce blood pressure and inflammation, which is also protective to heart health.
- Helps control blood sugar levels. Fiber, particularly soluble fiber, can slow the absorption of sugar, which for people with diabetes can help improve blood sugar levels. A diet that includes insoluble fiber has been associated with a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Aids in weight loss. High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, which gives your body time to register when you’re no longer hungry, so you’re less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. And high-fiber diets also tend to be less “energy dense,” which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
Uncertain effect on colorectal cancer. Evidence that dietary fiber reduces colorectal cancer is mixed — some studies show benefit, some show nothing and some suggest increased risk. If you’re concerned about preventing colorectal cancer, adopt or stick with a colon cancer screening regimen. Regular testing for and removal of colon polyps can prevent colon cancer
How much fiber do you need?
How much fiber do you need each day? The National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine, which provides science-based advice on matters of medicine and health, gives the following daily recommendations for adults:
|Age 50 and younger||Age 51 and older|
|Men||38 grams||30 grams|
|Women||25 grams||21 grams|
Your best fiber choices
If you aren’t getting enough fiber each day, you may need to boost your intake.
Good choices include:
- Grains and whole-grain products
- Beans, peas and other legumes
- Nuts and seeds
Refined or processed foods — such as canned fruits and vegetables and pulp-free juice, white bread and pasta, and non-whole-grain cereals — are lower in fiber content. The grain-refining process removes the outer coat (bran) from the grain, which lowers its fiber content. Similarly, removing the skin from fruits and vegetables decreases their fiber content.
Whole foods rather than fiber supplements are generally better. Fiber supplements — such as Metamucil, Citrucel and FiberCon — don’t provide the vitamins, minerals and other beneficial nutrients that high-fiber foods do. However, some people may still need a fiber supplement if dietary changes aren’t sufficient, or if they have certain medical conditions such as constipation, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome. Always check with your doctor if you feel you need to take fiber supplements.
Tips for fitting in fiber
Need ideas for high-fiber meals and snacks? Try these suggestions:
- Jump-start your day. For breakfast choose a high-fiber breakfast cereal — 5 or more grams of fiber a serving. Opt for cereals with “bran” or “fiber” in the name. Or add a few tablespoons of unprocessed wheat bran to your favorite cereal.
- Switch to whole grains. Look for breads that list whole wheat, whole-wheat flour or another whole grain as the first ingredient on the label. Look for a brand with at least 2 grams of dietary fiber a serving. Experiment with brown rice, wild rice, barley, whole-wheat pasta and bulgur.
- Bulk up your baked goods. Substitute whole-grain flour for half or all of the white flour when baking. Whole-grain flour is heavier than white flour. In yeast breads, use a bit more yeast or let the dough rise longer. When using baking powder, increase it by 1 teaspoon for every 3 cups of whole-grain flour. Try adding crushed bran cereal or unprocessed wheat bran to muffins, cakes and cookies.
- Mix it up. Add pre-cut fresh or frozen vegetables to soups and sauces. For example, mix chopped frozen broccoli into prepared spaghetti sauce or toss fresh baby carrots into stews.
- Get a leg up with legumes. Eat more beans, peas and lentils. Add kidney beans to canned soup or a green salad. Or make nachos with refried black beans, lots of fresh veggies, whole-wheat tortilla chips and salsa.
- Eat fruit at every meal. Apples, bananas, oranges, pears and berries are good sources of fiber.
- Make snacks count. Fresh and dried fruit, raw vegetables, and low-fat popcorn and whole-grain crackers are all good choices. An occasional handful of nuts is also a healthy, high-fiber snack.
High-fiber foods are good for your health. But adding too much fiber too quickly can promote intestinal gas, abdominal bloating and cramping. Increase fiber in your diet gradually over a period of a few weeks. This allows the natural bacteria in your digestive system to adjust to the change. Also, drink plenty of water. Fiber works best when it absorbs water, making your stool soft and bulky.
Article extracted from :
There are a variety of herbal, vitamin and mineral food extracts that medical science has proven to be beneficial for HIV patients. Some of them are :
1. Green Tea: Inhibits the spread of the virus.
2. AloeVera: Helps to combat skin problems as a result of HIV, Inhibits spread of virus, eliminates Fever and night sweats, alleviates frequent Diarrhea .
3. Phyto- Sterols and Sterolins from the hypoxis plant: Helps to maintain number of white blood cells responsible for immunity.
4. Sutherlandia: Helps to reduce weight loss, increase strength, endurance and regulate moods.
5. Ginseng: Helps to improve energy levels and boost immunity.
6. Omega 3: Helps to get rid of depression and improve mental alertness. Reduces side effects of anti retroviral drugs.
7.Garlic : Fights general infections that may come in as a result of low immunity like colds etc.
These are all contained in Swissgarde South Africa’s NAFDAC approved food supplements,(ALOEPOWER, AFRICAN POTATO & OMEGA PLUS) which are the one of the finest quality of health products in the market. Made in Africa for the African man.
If you must go herbal go for the best without side effects. Order yours now experience a significance in your health!
A TRIAL WILL CONVINCE YOU!
For orders call 08060778264 , 08023467737 or place your order online here :
Everyday we are bombarded with chemical toxins from our food, water and pollutants in the air we breathe. These toxins/pollutants overwork the organs responsible for detoxifying the body. The result is that the detoxification process may be sabotaged and the liver may not be able to get rid of toxins before they cause illness and damage to the internal organs.
If you experience you experience frequent fatigue, migraine headaches, etc . you maybe a victim of toxins in your body. That’s why Swissgarde’ s NAFDAC approved AloePower comes highly recommended. Its a powerful antioxidant that contains Aloe Vera, Aloe Bitters, Sutherlandia, greentea Vitamin C & Ginseng.
Very effective for:
1. Detoxifying and normalizing the body system,
2. Helps to boost the Immune System,
3. Increases blood circulation and energy levels,
4. Helps to improve general health,
5. Excellent for high bloodsugar diabetic patients.
6. Helps with erectile dysfunction and sexual stamina.
7. Eases menstrual flow and cramps.
8. Aids correction of prostrate problems.
9. Ideal tonic for the elderly.
10. Perfect for Staphylococcus treatment in combination with Swissgarde’s Defender.
11. Good for Ulcer patients.
For orders call 08060778264 / 08023467737 or place your order online at www.freewebs.com/natureandhealth/ourproducts.htm
Have you been treating Staph for a long time without any improvement.Then you may be using the wrong antibiotic or worse – YOU COULD BE SABOTAGING YOUR OWN STAPH TREATMENT.
How can one sabotage his own treatment? Simple! By constantly exposing yourself to the source of the infection.You have to identify the different possible sources of the infection and isolate yourself from them. You cant be treating and infecting yourself at the same time.It’s counter productive.
What are the possible sources of Staph infection? :
1. Sharing the same bedsheets and clothing with one who is infected.
2. Performing oral or unprotected sex with an infected person.
3. Eating contaminated food and water.
4. Allowing rats and cockroaches breed in your kitchen.
5. Poor food-handling.
6. Not washing ones hands with soap after using the toilet.
7. Leaving food to rot in your fridge.
8. Choosing to risk eating outside your home in restaurants (where you have no clue how the food is being handled in the kitchen)
9. Not washing your plates thoroughly before using them.
10.Having poor feeding habits which leads to low immunity.
So the solution is simple. Avoid the practices listed above and you have a greater chance of responding positively to your staph. treatment.
For vitamin/ mineral/ herbal NAFDAC approved supplements that are beneficial for treating staphylococcus, I recommend Swissgarde South Africa’s Aloepower and Defender . The cure the infection and other symptoms associated with Staph like erectile dysfunction, body movements, weakness,waist pain, sores, etc.
We keep having wonderful feedback from our customers.Order yours now!
To order or make enquiries call 08060778264 , 08023467737 or visit: www.natureandhealth.webs.com/ourproducts.htm